1. Remember schmaltz? Your mom and grandmother probably used a lot of it in their home cooking. Schmaltz, or chicken fat, has a great flavor and richness; it has a deeper flavor than duck fat and can be used on nearly everything. I also love poaching fish in it.
2. If you find you need more oil in the pan when sautéing, add it in a stream along the edges of the pan so that by the time the oil reaches the ingredient being cooked, it will be heated.
3. When you deep-fry, hold each piece of food with long tongs as you add it to the oil. Hold it just below the oil’s surface for five seconds before releasing it. This will seal the exterior and stop it from sticking to the pot or the other food.
4. For rich, creamy dressings made healthy, substitute half the mayo with Greek-style yogurt.
5. When chopping herbs, toss a little salt onto the cutting board; it will keep the herbs from flying around.
6. To make a great sandwich, spread the mayonnaise from corner to corner on the bread. People rush this step and just do a swoosh down the middle. Every bite should be flavorful. Now that’s a sandwich!
7. If you keep it simple and buy ingredients at farmers’ markets, the food can pretty much take care of itself. Do as little as possible to the food; consider leaving out an ingredient and relying on instinct.
8. Always season meat and fish evenly; sprinkle salt and pepper as though it’s “snowing.” This will avoid clumping or ending up with too much seasoning in some areas and none in others.
9. For best results when you’re baking, leave butter and eggs at room temperature overnight.
10. Homemade vinaigrettes have fewer ingredients and taste better than bottled ones. No need to whisk them: Just put all the ingredients in a sealed container and shake.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/chefs/articles/100-greatest-cooking-tips-of-all-time
I really love cooking. I cook every day various types of delicious food. But when you cook you need a good equipment. I appreciate quality and i have no problem to spend money on something important. So i bought some top rated cookware sets. My wish was to find out are the cookware sets in TV shops better then casual sets. I thought that there is no difference between two pans and that you don’t need to spend your money and buy expensive cookware sets. First, i used my old set and i prepared spaghetti. I cooked spaghetti for one hour . Then i prepared sausage. The taste was ok same as previous time. But i looked on my pot and pot was old and damaged.
Next day i prepared same food. I have finished my job in 45 minutes and the situation was much better. New pot was excellent with long handle so i can’t burn my fingers. The bottom of the pot was very clean and cold. I had impression that i never used this pot before. Important part in food preparation is always tasting. The spaghetti were fantastic and they have looked like they were direct from Italy. I decided to call my friends on dinner and show them my new set. They love cooking and they always try to find some of the top rated cookware sets. I have prepared some meat for them. After my prologue about set my friend and i have tasted the food. But it weren’t good. Meat were burnt and awful. On my luck i had pizza so dinner was good but i thought next three days where was the problem. I bought new set and it had worked good before that night.
Finally I found the key. Problem wasn’t in the set it was in me. I forgot to put away pan from burner on time. So the meat had taste like coal. It was good and bad for me at the same time. Good, my new cookware set works properly and bad i made a big mistake and fail to present my cooking skills to my friends. It never minds i have next week to fix it up. When you are thinking of quality and money you need to know that you can’t prepare good food with old stuffs. All cooks deserve good equipment and cooking set to Enjoy their meals.
Rice is becoming universal scapegoat for many of the carbohydrate related health problems. But would you risk the health of your family even if you think like me? I don’t think so. So I am slowly steering my small family to whole wheat breads and drastically reducing the rice consumption. I have this 5 cup rice cooker with me, which I have used for almost 10 years now. It is tempting not to cook more rice in it. So I started looking for good digital rice cookers. I saw the 2 cup rice cooker, which I thought was very cute, but insufficient for my family. Therefore, I specifically searched for 3-cup small rice cookers. Two of the rice cookers that I liked from the list were Black & Decker 3 cup rice cooker, and Zojirushi 3 cup rice cooker.
I wanted to buy the Zojirushi rice cooker because it looked so neat and compact. It also had a different appearance when compared to traditional rice cookers. Remember I already own slightly larger one. But the reviews indicated problems with condensation and so I had to settle for Black & Decker.
My Black & Decker 3 cup small rice cooker does not offer as many features as the Zojirushi 3 cup rice cooker does. That rice cooker can be used for cooking many different things because there is a timer there, and possibly a chip as well. But this rice cooker is comparatively simple and almost a smaller version of what I already own. The horizontal cook and keep warm buttons stand out like orange eyes on its grey colored control panel. One of the features I really liked in this rice cooker is ability to see the stage of cooking. This is because the lid of this rice cooker is made from tempered glass. This lid is removable as well. The picture on the website showed steaming of rice with vegetables in it. I have not tried any rice varieties in it, simply because I am not sure rice would be sufficient for us. This feeling may only be my belief, so someday I do hope I can cook varieties such as vegetable rice and fried rice in it.
The removable cooking bowl in this rice cooker has a non-stick layer, unlike the aluminum cooking bowl that I have in my old rice cooker. Cooked rice, therefore, does not stick to the bowl. The bowl can also be cleaned easily in my dish washer along with other utensils. This is much appreciated by me. The bowl of the previous rice cooker did pose some problems at times.
We have managed to bring down our rice consumption with this rice cooker and our energy bills are down too. Whenever we do feel some hunger pangs, and I am not going to deny we do have them, we opt for making juices from some vegetables. Hopefully, my family is getting healthy meal.
Other best option – Aroma rice cookers
When I got accepted at one of the world’s most prestigious chef training institutions, I knew that I had taken a major step towards achieving my career goals. I have always loved cooking and really wanted to turn my passion into a career. One thing I knew is that the course would be highly competitive. Impressing my instructor was key to graduating and possibly being assigned a job at a top hotel.
On the first day, the instructor had us introduce ourselves and gave us a test. We were to impress her with our selection of kitchenware. She explained that a good chef must know what kitchenware to choose before he or she begins preparing food. I was assigned the task of selecting kitchen knives. Excited as I was, there was a tinge of fear within me. However, I couldn’t let the opportunity miss me.
I began my search for the different types of kitchen knives available. I was overwhelmed by the huge selection available online. I knew I had to think like a master chef. So I narrowed my search to the best knife sets to buy. The results were fewer but I knew that I still needed to narrow down the search.
To do this, I focused on finding a knife set that was functional in cutting and chopping different types of food. Next, I looked at the quality of the materials used to make the blade and handle. Finally, I looked at the cost. This narrowed down my search to three knife sets. All were made using the same materials and comprised knives for different tasks. My final choice was based on the brand. If I wanted to become a master chef, quality kitchenware needed to come from a quality brand.
My instructor was impressed by my selection. She was even more impressed by my criteria for selecting my kitchenware. That marked the beginning of a great experience learning how to become a top chef from one of the best chefs around.